24 Mar Allergy Friendly Easter Recipes
Here are a few allergy friendly Easter recipes. Kids are often more interested in eating new foods if they help make them. So this is the perfect opportunity to get the kids involved! Have fun making the rice krispy eggs or the birds nests.
Dairy-Free, Egg-Free Flan
2 cans of unsweetened coconut milk
2 Tbsp agar agar flakes
1 Tbsp triple sec
¼ cup of light agave nectar
1 cup sugar
In a heavy saucepan, heat the sugar by itself on med-high heat. Let it melt and caramelize. When the edges go brown, take the pan off and swirl quickly. Pour it very quickly into a 9*13 pyrex and spread it as much as possible before it starts to harden. Set aside somewhere warm.
Pour the two cans of coconut milk in a heavy saucepan and whisk. Bring to a boil. Add agave and whisk in completely. Add agar agar. Bring to a boil. When it has reached a full boil, lift off the burner and whisk quickly. Set the pan back on hot burner and bring to a boil again, then immediately turn heaet down to medium to the let the custard simmer gently until all of the agar agar has dissolved, another 10 minutes or so.
Pour this very hot custard into your prepared pan. Let it cool a bit at room temperature, then cover with plastic wrap, then cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 8 hours. This makes a very thin, flat flan. Serves 10 with small pieces.
Cybele Pascal What on earth do I eat now?
Banana Cupcakes with Maple Brown Butter
Free of: milk, egg, soy, nut, fish, and gluten/wheat free
1 cup mashed bananas
1 Tbsp lemon juice or maple syrup
1 ½ cup flour or gluten free equivalent
1 tsp baking soda
¼ tsp salt
¾ stick dairy/soy free butter
1 cup cane sugar
Egg replacer equivalent to 1 egg
¾ cup rice milk
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp cinnamon
1 stick dairy/soy free butter
3 cups confectioners sugar
¼ cup rice milk
3 Tbsp maple syrup
1 tsp nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 350 deg
- In a small bowl, combine bananas and lemon juice/maple syrup
- In a separate bowl, mix flour, baking soda, and salt.
- In another bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in egg replacer and vanilla.
- Add flour mixture and buttermilk alternately while mixing.
- Beat in bananas and mix until well blended.
- Bake at 275 deg F for one hour or until inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- In a saucepan, melt butter at medium temperature until golden-brown.
- In a bowl, add butter to sugar, then add milk and syrup. Beat until smooth.
- Top with bananas and a sprinkle of cinnamon.
Cybele Pascal Eat Freely
Rice Krispie Egg Treats
3 Tbsp Dairy Free Butter
5 ½ cups mini marshmallows
6 cups rice krispies
- In a large pot over medium heat, melt the butter
- Add the marshmallows and stir continuously until all is melted
- Remove from heat and add in rice krispies
- Wash and dry the plastic eggs. Grease the inside of the eggs with the spectrum shortening.
- Press the rice krispie mixture into both sides of the egg (add treat to the center, if desired) and close for 10 minutes until cooled.
- Remove cereal treat from plastic egg. Enjoy!
8 No Nuttin Bars (or Rice Krispie Treat Mix)
½ bag Enjoy Life Chocolate Chips
Crumble bars in bowl. Melt chips in microwave and combine with bars. Spoon onto waxed paper and form into 8 nests. Fill with candy decorations.